- towel (pre-shrunk) - i used an ikea hand towel 15" wide x 22" long
- border fabric: cotton fabric (pre-shrunk) the width of your towel plus 1" and two times the depth of the border you would like plus 1/2". - my border strip was 3" deep x 23" long and the finished sized was 1 1/2" x 22".
- fabric loop: 3" x 5" cotton fabric (pre-shrunk)
- sewing machine, measuring tape or ruler, scissors, pins, handsewing needle, thread to match cotton trimming fabric, iron
1. fold the fabric in half lengthwise and press. press in each long side 1/4". fold in each short end of fabric 1/2" and press - the strip should be only slightly longer than the towel edge.
2. lay the towel edge over one side of the fabric strip. the strip should be just slightly longer than the towel.
3. pin through all layers, keeping the edges of the fabric trim strip lined up.
4. carefully sew along the edge of the fabric trim strip making sure to catch all the layers of fabric and towel. backstich at the begining and end.
5. with a handsewing needle, slipstitch the ends of the fabric trim stitch closed.
ta da! there is your towel, just for you! if you want to add a loop, continue on...
6. for the fabric loop: fold the 3"x5" fabric piece in half lenthwise and press. press both long edges in to the centre fold and press again. sew along the long edge.
7. center the loop on the center of the towel edge with about 1 1/2" space between each end. pin and stitch along the towel hem line, backstitching at the beginning and end.
8) fold over the fabric loop and stitch along the edge of the towel, backstitching at the beginning and end.
9) fold it the way you want or hang it from a hook so high no toddler can reach it. make it really girly and chances are your husband or teenage son will not touch it either. just hoping...